Compositions

You can find Kate’s composition’s on bandcamp, soundcloud and youtube. For a selection see below…

This is Shell Symphony, composed in 2017 to protest the Concertgebouw’s partnership with the oil company Royal Dutch Shell. It is in three movements: ‘Corrupting Influence’, ‘Poisoned’ River’, and ‘We are Nature Defending Itself’. Performed by Rhythms of Resistance, independent professionals and students from the Conservatoria of Amsterdam and the Hague. Here performed on Amsterdam’s Museumplein outside the Concertgebouw. Note the Shell oil barrel.

The unabridged version, performed in the Muziekgebouw aan ‘t IJ, Amsterdam.

I have composed a number of songs for amateur choirs to sing on climate demonstrations. Above is ‘Justicia Climatica Ya’, sung by the Beautiful Trouble Choir at the Nov 29th School Climate Strike in the Hague. Also ‘And Now Our Love is Stronger than Our Fear’, below.

Human impact on planet is also the inspiration for ‘Anthropocene’, in which an tone-poem for large ensemble and electronics guides listeners through the story of Hambach Forest. Hambach Forest is an ancient forest in Germany’s Rhineland, which was 90% destroyed to make way for a coal mine. Activists protect the remaining 10%. Anthropocene was premiered by the Nieuw Ensemble in the Muziekgebouw aan ‘t IJ, Amsterdam in 2018, and has also been performed in Korzo in the Hague.